Monday 20 October 2014

Dip Dye Lilou Dress


Well hello there, welcome to my first post. 
May I introduce you to my current favourite dress. So far I have worn it to two weddings and also on a day out in town. I love it so much I don't even care about the imperfections. And that means quite a lot. Yes, I am one of those perfectionists.

The pattern is the Lilou dress with a gathered skirt from Love at First Stitch by Tilly Walnes. It is my first make from the book but I find it very useful as a reference point when I am unsure about a technique.



I sometimes struggle to find fabric, especially if I have a clear idea of what I want. So for this dress I decided to just make my own design. I really like all the ombre stuff that you can see everywhere at the moment. Would love to dye my hair ombre style but, well I am just not quite brave enough.



I found the fabric for this dress at the Backstitch shop at Burwash Manor, just outside Cambridge. It is an indian shot cotton and it is super soft. I used a navy fabric dye from Dylon and after I finished sewing the dress I followed this tutorial. Next time I will make the palest section of the dyed part a bit wider. 



As you can see there are a few weird creases going on in the bodice. I think this is mainly due to the lining, a really soft silk lining, and me not working accurately enough. 
The only thing I would change pattern wise when making this dress again, is to bring the straps in by 1cm as they sit a bit loose.

And here one with an umbrella, just cose I like it ;)


Have you ever printed or dyed your own fabric? Would love to see your makes!













26 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress and impressive dye work! The whole outfit looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fadanista! Really enjoyed the process and already have another project in the pipeline. Hopefully it turns out well and I will share it on here.

      Delete
  2. I saw this on Tilly's blog and had to come have a look at it. I love the look you've achieved with this dye effect . Great dress and welcome to the blog-sphere! Look forward to seeing your next projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks shabajo, so excited to be part of this fab and inspiring community!

      Delete
  3. a lovely make.... sew...well done!!
    I love your pics and those blue shoes are to die for...found you via till and the buttons of course!
    welcome to blogging....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the most beautiful Lilou dress that I have seen! I want one and might copy yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much. Please show me when you make one!

      Delete
  5. Lovely.
    SSB https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your work! I love home dying - it's certainly go me inspired... I'm relatively new to the blogging game too. You might like some of my makes.

    http://sophielovessewing.blogspot.hk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie. I love dying too. It doesn't always turn out the way I want it to but experimenting is fun! Will check out your blog.

      Delete
  7. I just love your dress!! Thank you for sharing it wiht us and welcome on the blogosphere!
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chloeti and thank you!! Just had a look at your blog, lovely. Unfortunately my french is almost non existent but I can always look at the pictures. As I swiss girl I do like Kaffeeklatch tough ;)

      Delete
  8. hey, welcome to the blogosphere! :) I love this dress, I've never dyed anything before but am now really tempted to give it a go, it looks fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, you totally should, so much fun!

      Delete
  9. Amazing dress! Never tried dying before, but your dress makes me want to try.. Love the result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes you should try, there are so many possibilities.

      Delete
  10. Your dress looks fantastic, looking forward to seeing more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Cerian! Your Lilou looks great too!!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful dress! I want the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! I've done some dyeing, mostly with natural dyes on handspun yarn. It is a lot of fun, though a little time consuming! Worth the effort, though. Here are links to some of the projects I've made:

    http://ravel.me/thelittlewriter/5bhqf
    http://ravel.me/thelittlewriter/sls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. Your projects sound great, I am very impressed by all the work you put into them. Did your brother like the bag?

      The shoes - I got them a year ago in Brooklyn, Williamsburg but can't remember where. The brand is Chelsea-Crew.
      Looove them and they were a really lucky find. Saw them in the window but couldn't really be bothered to try them on. Luckily my husband said we should and now they are my absolute favourites. Even wore them on my wedding ;)

      Delete
  14. And I LOVE your shoes and must know where you got them!!

    ReplyDelete